Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ruh Roh

What is it Scoob?

I'll tell you what it is. A story involving Mets outfielder and shortstop Carlos Beltran and Josey Reyes showed up on ESPN.com today.

Basically the story says Beltran was questioned by federal officials about a doctor he saw for a knee injury. This doctor also happens to be involved in some activity with some banned substances, Actovegin and HGH. The story goes on to talk about how Beltran and Reyes are probably fine, whatever help they sought was legitimate, and the doctor's troubles are unrelated to them. Forgive me for not wiping the sweat off my brow just yet.

It just seems like in baseball lately there is nothing but bad news when drugs are involved. Any time a guy gets involved in a drug-related discussion, he denies it until there is no way to do so anymore. We've seen it with Roger Clemens, Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez and most recently Mark McGwire, who held out longest of all.

I realize this is not quite the same thing with Beltran and Reyes, because they were simply questioned because they have been in contact with the doctor for other reasons (so it seems). Still, I wouldn't brush this story aside.

The thing that makes this really aggravating is that Jose Reyes is my favorite player in all of baseball, and CB isn't far down on the list. Both are lean, athletic guys that play great defense, steal bases and hit for a pretty good average. Neither of them looks anything like they could be taking steroids. Unfortunately, I don't think there are as many tell-tale signs of PEDs as there used to be. It would stink to find out those guys have been juicing.

I just don't want to be let down like so many other baseball fans have recently. Please don't let me down, Jose.

No comments:

Post a Comment