Saturday, March 13, 2010

Atlantic City behind the scenes

As I said in my last post, I was going to Atlantic City to cover the Atlantic 10 Tournament. Covering and watching the games was cool, but there is just so much more that happened from the time before I even got here until now.

It all started at about 5:40 a.m. Friday morning. I was getting picked up to drive to the airport, and was tired but ready to roll. it was still pretty dark out at that point in time, and I can only assume that some student who had been having a great time Thursday night decided it would be a great idea to remove the cover from the sewer drain outside of Lawnview Apartments.

See where this is going?

If you can't, read on. I began to walk to the car, and this sewer just so happened to be in my path. Being tired and not able to see very well, I walked right over this hole in the ground, and all of a sudden my waist was even with the ground. It took me about two seconds to realize what had even happened to me (one doesn't fall into a manhole very often), but when I finally did get it, the pain took over. I still have the bruise on my right hip and the cut on my left shin to show for it.

Sooooo not the greatest start to the trip. We got to the airport and the flights went off without a hitch, so that was good.

We made it to AC and I posted up in my media spot before the UD game and started to get ready. It was fun blogging and tweeting (my first experience with that), and the game was great to watch from a fanboy standpoint until the final 10 minutes. O well.

One thing that was cool during that time was Verne Lundquist showed up. He is going to be calling the championship game on CBS Sunday and was stopping by to start preparing for his broadcast and watch some basketball. He was sitting two seats down from me, so I talked to him after the Dayton game. He is a really nice guy, and we talked for a few minutes about the games that day. Never talked to a big time broadcaster like that, so that was cool.

I've learned that Terrell Holloway and Chris Mack are both punks this weekend. I have no problem with them being affiliated with the team I dislike the most. Holloway doesn't shake hands, and Mack smiled at the crowd when he called a completely unnecessary timeout with two seconds left and got booed. Coming from a coach, that is embarrassing if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment