Monday, February 22, 2010

At the Brink

I can't say I didn't think another loss was out of the question, but for some reason the false hope in me rose up again, and I thought Dayton would finally figure things out on the road.

WRONG!

The Flyers lost at Duquesne Sunday, 73-71. Eesh. Chris Wright scored 13 points in the first half and only two in the second half. Eeesh. Chris Johnson shot 13 three point attempts. Eeeesh. Dayton turned the ball over 21 times. Eeeeesh. 10 of those were by their two senior point guards. Eeeeeeeeeeessshhh.

Just another absolutely demoralizing loss, where Dayton allowed themselves to be beaten. They actually shot free throws very well, did pretty well from beyond the arc, and got good offensive production from Kurt and Paul Williams (completely out of the blue). Didn't matter though. You can't win with 21 turnovers. I've never seen so many dropped passes. The game made me feel like I was in the stands watching a Corpus Christi League matchup between St. Rita's and Immaculate Conception. Gosh, it was bad.

This brings me to the title of the blog. Dayton is now officially at the brink. They have five losses in conference play. In my opinion, nothing worse than 11-5 in the A-10 will receive an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament, and even then it would be iffy. So Dayton needs to win out. That means getting four straight Ws--at Temple, vs. UMass, at Richmond and vs. St. Louis. Anybody else think things are looking more than just a little bleak?

Ah, well. I'll still be rooting as hard as ever, but with very little expectation now, and no false hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment