Sunday, February 14, 2010

And it all comes crashing down

So I just read my last post, and I can't help but feel like it is so appropriate for how I'm currently feeling.

This is the problem with loving sports: something that is pointless in the grand scheme of things ruins your day. It's a double edged sword to root hard for a team, especially one like the Dayton Flyers.

That's because they are part of a very unique breed of team that can play like a top 15 team for 5 straight halves of basketball, beating Xavier and Charlotte by a combined 52 points and have a 14 point lead on St. Louis at halftime, then just completely lose focus and blow a HUGE game on the road.

That was devastating. I am still mad about the loss. Say what you want about UD getting unlucky on that final shot. All they have to do is go 11-20 from the foul line (still awful, by the way) and that shot doesn't matter. All they have to do is go 2-13 from the 3-point line (still horrendous, by the way) and that shot doesn't matter. Nope, Dayton couldn't do either of those things.

I said I had no confidence that they could play as well on the road. For the first half, I ate my words. They were up 33-19. Their defense was great, their offense was efficient. The threes weren't dropping, but they were scoring inside. In the second half, they decided to stop going inside, and I have no idea why.

I hate to say it, but I think BG made some mistakes with personnel at the end of the game and in the overtimes. No reason London is not in there more than Rob. No reason to have Paul Williams in at the end of the game, even if he is a good free throw shooter. He doesn't have the late-game experience. Give it to CJ in the situations where you need a free-throw. He's done it before.

Ugh, I don't even want to think about this anymore. Looking ahead, you could still say that Dayton has a chance to make the NCAAs. If they win their final six games, they'll be 12-4 in the A-10, and are a no-doubter. But how can anyone honestly think they will be able to win at Temple or at Richmond, if they lay an egg like this against St. Louis? I just don't see it happening.

My prediction? Three seed in the NIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment