Wednesday, May 6, 2009

No Brett! NOOOOOOO!

A devastated, disappointed Nate is the one writing to you today, because yesterday Around the Horn, PTI, and Sportscenter all reported at length that Brett Favre was going to meet with Vikings head coach Brad Childress.  This is some of the worst news I have seen in sports in a long time.  It is breaking my heart to see one of my heroes do this to himself.

As a die-hard Packers fan I have been watching Brett Favre since I have been old enough to follow football.  He is the reason that I have been lucky enough to watch the Packers win a Super Bowl, and he is the reason that the Packers inexplicably went 13-3 two seasons ago.  He has been the face of my favorite franchise for what seems like forever.  Until a year ago, when he un-retired and went to the Jets.  That was tough to live with, but not because I was mad at Brett or considered him a traitor.  Brett left an incredible legacy for the Packers and the NFL.  I thought that by coming back he was ruining that.  As it turned out, he did a decent job with the Jets, although they did kind of choke down the stretch.  Now, Brett has said there is no way he's coming back to football for the second time.  And he has starting talking with another NFL organization for the second time.

Brett has been a beloved member of the NFL for a long time.  When he came back with the Jets, he remained that way.  People still liked him.  Now coming back to the Vikings is being interpreted as Brett's way of getting back at the Packers.  Michael Wilbon called him selfish.  So did Jay Mariotti.  Coming back into the league this time will have an affect on Brett's reputation.  Playing against the Packers will force me to root against Brett.  I don't want to do that.  I don't think most sports fans want be against Brett Favre.  If this continues though, that might be the way it is.

Here's to hoping Brett Favre takes a step back.  It should not end like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment