Monday, May 25, 2009

Back, and Better Than Everi

Sorry to my faithful readers.  I understand if you are no longer quite as faithful as you once were, because I became unreliable.  However, I am back, and I think I've got my schedule all figured out, so I'm hopeful that I will be able to get back on track with this blogging.

Today I want to congratulate the NBA on officially springing back onto the national sports scene.  Anyone who is really a sports fan would acknowledge that these playoffs have been pretty incredible.  Not only did they have the greatest first round series of all time, but they also had the extremely entertaining second round series of Lakers-Rockets and Celtics-Magic.  Now, we are amidst two conference finals series that couldn't be going more perfectly.  Every fourth quarter in both the Eastern and Western Conference Finals has been ridiculous.  The largest margin of victory in the combined six games was the Magic's 10 point victory in game 3, and that was only as large as it was because of foul shots down the stretch.  Every game has been good, capped obviously by the greatest moment of the playoffs so far with Lebron hitting the three as time expired to keep the Cavs alive in the series.  The NBA has put itself back on the map in the sports world with these playoffs.  From here on out, I would expect that the NBA playoffs will continue to get more and more viewers in future years.
Amidst all the success of their games, though, the NBA has helped themselves out by coming out with perhaps the greatest commercial campaign of my lifetime.  The "Where Will Amazing Happen this Year?" commercials have been sending chills down my spine for quite some time now, and I have not gotten sick of them yet.  Now that they are evolving into a new format with showing moments from past playoffs, I don't expect that I will be getting sick of them anytime soon.  From Chris Paul's crazy layup and Lebron's vicious dunk on three Celtics to Larry Bird stealing the ball and Kobe throwing an alley-oop to Shaq, every commercial has been spot-on.  I have enjoyed them thoroughly.  Part of me wants them to use the same idea for next year.
At any rate, kudos to the NBA, keep it up, and I'll keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment