Sunday, April 19, 2009

My second first day in a row

The title of this post may seem confusing, but let me explain.  Yesterday was my first day as a blogger.  Today was my first day as the official sports editor of Flyer News.  I sat in the Flyer News office from 11 am to 6 pm, editing stories, and mixing it up with the rest of the staff.  It took forever and some of it was really a pain, but I had a good time for the most part.  We got to have pizza, and there are some other members of the staff that I get along with very well.  All in all, it was a good albeit tiring day.  Placing pictures is awful, but editing and writing stories is great.  It balances out, and eventually I will get better at all of it.

Now, on to the sports.  I have decided to attempt to analyze the New York Mets this year vs. last year in the hopes that they will do better this year.  I think that they have addressed their need in the bullpen, but I think that in order to make the playoffs this year, the Mets hitting will have to improve.  Specifically, they will need to improve their hitting with runners on base and with 2 out.  That is what all of the best teams do.  They steal wins by stringing hits together with 2 outs.  Unfortunately today, the mets could not do just that.  They lost to the Brewers 4-2 today, and the story was the Mets inability to bring baserunners home.  They got those 2 runs on 12 hits.  That is way too many men to leave on base.  In addition, the Mets could not come up with hits in the clutch.  In the bottom of the sixth inning, The mets were down 3 to 1.  With 2 out and none on base, Carlos Beltran hit a single, which Gary Sheffield followed up with a double.  With runners on second and third, Fernando Tatis came to the plate and flied out.  In the bottom of the seventh Carlos Delgado grounded into a double play with 1 out and Jose Reyes and Daniel Murphy on 1st and 2nd.  In the bottom of the eighth the first two batters got on base, and then Tatis struck out on 3 pitches, after which Omir Santos lined into a somewhat unfortunate double play.  All of these situations were times when runs should have been scored, and they weren't.  The Mets will need to hit better.  As my stat tracking has a larger sample size, I will start to come out with those numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment