Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ollie, Ollie, Ox in Free

Missed a post from yesterday, I apologize to my incredibly large following.  However, we will be getting back on track today seeing as I don't have to do quite as much studying.  I would like to point out before I start today's topic that the statistics in my last post were much more attractive looking when I was writing the post than they appeared in the actual blog.  I will find a way to amend this issue for this weeks experiment in statistics.

Now, on to today's topic:  Mets' starter Oliver Perez, also known as my least favorite player in the Majors.  I read a story on ESPN.com today that said Mets' manager Jerry Manuel is going to give Perez one more chance this season.  He is currently on a ridiculous three year, $36 million contract.  Way way way way too much for a guy who had an ERA of 4.22 last year and a record of only 15-10.  Perez has really only had one good season in his career (2002), and he only went 12-10 because he was playing for Pittsburgh.  This year, he is off to a 1-2 start, with an ERA of 9.31.  His strikeout to walk ratio is in danger of falling below 1.0, as he has issued 15 walks to just 18 strikeouts on the season.

After giving up seven runs on nine hits and three walks in 4.1 innings to the WASHINGTON NATIONALS, Manuel has said he will be giving Perez one more chance.  Perez's next start is scheduled for Saturday against the Philadelphia Phillies.  As much as I hope the Mets beat their rivals, I kind of hope Perez doesn't pitch very well.  He is just not worth it to have in the starting rotation.  Plus, I think Perez could be an incredible middle reliever.  It seems like every start he goes the first three innings and looks like he is going to pitch a complete game.  Then the wheels come off.  That screams relief pitcher to me.  At any rate, I'm tired of him in the starting lineup, and I hope Manuel is looking for a dominant performance, like at least a quality start, out of Perez.  4 earned runs through 5 and a third innings should not be good enough to save his job.  He is killing the Mets right now, moreso than any other pitcher, and it needs to change one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment