Sunday, January 10, 2010

Packers Playoff Game Journal

This will be the longest post in my blogging history--not necessarily in length, but in how long I take to post it. I will be writing this entry as a journal of my thoughts and reactions to the Packers at Cardinals playoff game today at 4:40. I don't know how much of the game I will actually be able to watch, because I am going to be spending a great deal of time in the Flyer News office on deadline day, which is devastating. Still, I will catch as much as I can and have it on gamecast at all times. Go Pack Go!

Okay, so the Patriots-Ravens game just ended which means the Packers game is closer than ever. It supposedly starts at 4:40 today, I'm not sure I buy that. I'll have the TV in the office here on the channel by then, but I don't think I'll worry too much about watching until at least 10 til 5. On a side note, the Ravens massacred the Patriots, which surprised me. They scored 24 points in the first quarter and basically won the game then. The Patriots losing is delicious though, so despite me dropping to 6-10 (ugh) on Streak for the Cash this month, I'm okay with it.

Alright, here we go. The game has begun. On time as well, I'm impressed.

Well, it was about as bad a start as you can possibly have, but the Pack is in the game down 17-7. Still, the defense is going to need to make some drastic changes, because every time Kurt Warner has stepped back to pass his receivers have been wide open. Charles Woodson will not be able to bail the D out with a fumble every single drive. They might actually have to get a stop if they plan on winning. I'm not worried about the offense producing, they are good. Especially if Ryan Grant keeps have these holes to run through. The O-line is gaping the Cards on the run but has given up three sacks already. Not sure why that is. At any rate, the Pack have got to score at least once more before the half. Can't be worse than 20-10, or they aren't coming back.

Also, kudos to Fox Sports for their statistical blunder. When the Cardinals were up by 14-0, Fox said the Packers had never trailed by 14 all season. I immediately thought, "I guarantee they were down by more than 14 in at least one of the Vikings games." Sure enough, as they came back from a commercial later, Joe Buck informed us they trailed the Vikings 24-3 earlier this season. Well done boys, well done.

Well, Early Doucet just scored his second touchdown because the Packers secondary forgot to bring their ability to tackle to the game. Budget meeting is done, so I am going to attempt to save this and then go home and resume it on my laptop. We'll see if it works. If not, there's no way I'm going to type all of this again, it'll be a shorter post.

Well, it worked. I'm back at home and posting on the same blog as before. And amidst a game of League of Legends and making dinner, the Packers have somehow come back to tie the game at 38. They got it to within seven points by virtue of getting an onside kick and scoring without giving the ball to the Cardinals. Then they finally got a defensive stop and capitalized. Now, of course, they're just teasing me. The Cardinals are driving, and it's one of those eight-minute-drive-that-gives-us-the-lead-with-two-minutes-left-and-breaks-your-spirit drives. Seriously, they have converted multiple third downs this drive, and are getting no more than 15 yards for every first down, so it's eating up clock and field.

...And there it is. The doom of the Packers perhaps.

Nope, sometime while I was interviewing Brian Gregory the Packers stormed down the field. I came back while they were on the 11 yard line, and then they scored immediately. Unfortunately, the Cardinals have 1:56 to score. I know you don't know when I'm typing this, but I'm predicting the Cardinals will score and win. I'll come back at the end of the game.

Well, I was wrong. The Cardinals didn't score. Neil Rackers choked so badly that the Packers had to be the winners. Then the Pack won the toss--game over right? Right, but not the way anyone watching would have expected. Aaron Rodgers missed his first pass in forever to Greg Jennings for the win, and then fumbled for the loss. The Cardinals defense finally stepped up.

The Packers had better draft a cornerback that actually is good this year. No more Tramon Williams or Jarrett Bush please. Just get someone good. Trade for someone good. I don't care, but you've got to have multiple guys that can cover if you're going to always run man, which they do.

The Favre trade is a success for the Pack, because Rodgers is a top 3 quarterback in the NFL, and he'll have them back here next year.

Lets go 2010 Packers.

No comments:

Post a Comment